Research Updates    New Ancestors    New Stories    Surnames A-L    Surnames M-Z    Home
      Ancestor Pages -  knowing my family
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Ivan Merriman Lewis  -  Journal  (Mission to Samoa 1934-1937 - Part 1)

Mission Call  -  August, 1934

Received a call to Samoa sometime in mid-summer, to report to the Mission Home August 10, 1934. Had to go look at the atlas to find it. So July was spent in getting ready. (Burl Merrill also got a call to the same place, same time.) So we got our clothes ready and ourselves ready to go.

At our farewell talks we didn't have much to say except Burl who said that "he hated to leave the girls he knew, but he was looking forward to the ones he would meet." That got a laugh.

The next day we departed by rail and went up through Colorado and saw some wonderful sights. Like the train went through a narrow canyon where we could look up and see high above, a bridge coming across the canyon. Anyway, we arrived there Sunday night, ready for Monday morning.

Monday: [Sep 10] Reuben Lewis came down to see me off from Ogden.I had my hand wrapped in a bandage. Before that, I had taken it off, thinking that I wouldn't be needing it, until I had it off. After he left, I put it right back on.

Friday:  [Sep 14] Devotion and checking on temple recommends.
8:30 a.m. Temple ordinances. Relatives with proper recommends may accompany missionaries through the temple. Every missionary must have a temple recommend. 5:OO pm. Class, Word of Wisdom, Tithing and Fast Offering. 6:00 pm to 10 pm Open Period. We got ready to go in the morning. We had to leave on the train in the morning to make our connection to the steamer come Saturday night.

Sunday: We made it by Saturday night, but it didn't sail.

Monday:  [Sep 17] In fact we had part of Monday until Tuesday. We made it to Long Beach on Monday and took in the High Ride on the "Loop de Loop" until we had only enough money to get back to the ship. We had Martha with us all the way, but we couldn't talk her into riding the fun thing. She was going to Hawai'i.

Tuesday:  [Sep 18] The ship sailed clear to Los Angeles the next day and took on some more passengers, including a small circus, of sorts. There were all kinds of people mixed up in it. There was the strong man, the fat lady, the Cowboy, the wit and the nitwit, all kinds of people.

We sailed from Los Angeles on the SS Monterey. Our roommate was a Bantam weight boxer who was a little short guy; when Burl and he got to talking they hit it right off. The Bantam guy had a set of boxing gloves and a set of exercisers. (Burl had earned part of his money from boxing before he came this far.) He wanted to show off his boxing skills before the crowd, so he talked me into boxing with him up on deck. The ruse worked, and he got some pretty good boxing matches with him as a boxer. Anyway, he was favorably impressed by the little guy and the Bantam weight gave him the gloves and the exercisers.

Well, we had a lot of fun on board the ship going down there, playing "murder" with the circus bunch. We had church services there, too. We attended church once with the ship's bunch.

Island of Tutuila

Saturday:  [Sept 29]  Mission: here we go. We arrived at the harbour. I should say in the harbour. This is the most beautiful harbour in the world. (Pago Pago.) Just look at it, all around, green with mountains high enough to give it that complete surround that a complete harbour has. The thing that it doesn't have is a wharf big enough for the big steamer to anchor in. So a little boat has to be employed to take the passengers and their belongings to shore.

As soon as we got off the customs checking us in, nobody was waiting for us. As we waited for the Elders to arrive, we began to explore around the place. The first thing we saw that got our attention was a sign, "Ua sa le mutia." We guessed it meant "Keep off the grass." We would do that. I would learn later it meant, literally, "Is forbidden, the grass." Sort of a left hand way of putting it, like the rest of the language.

As there seemed to be plenty of time (and the Elders going on to Australia, New Zealand and further south were all in a group.) As we were all wandering down the road there was a car parked at the curb, we wondered if it could be picked up. Thanks to Burl it could be, at least one side at a time.

There was a coconut tree, it could be climbed by Burl, who else. He got clear up to and including picking one off the tree and holding it in his mouth. He broke a fountain pen he had in his pocket and it leaked clear down his shirt front.

We were coming back to the road when we were confronted by two other missionaries, Elder Watson and Elder Ferrin. Elder Watson, who could be rather caustic, said, "Are there two of you, by any chance, who ought to be staying with us, or am I surmising something?"

"Well," I said, "There are two of us who should be staying here, myself and Elder Merrill. I am Ivan Lewis."

"Well, if you'll excuse yourselves from the crowd, we'll be on our way." We picked up our belongings and headed out, with our stuff in the back of a taxi and on up about 3/4 of a mile up to the Mission Headquarters, where we had a drink of water and a chance to sit down.

Pago Pago Harbor

Up a coconut tree

Elder Watson began interviewing Elder Merrill first off, then came my turn. After he was through with our interviews, Elder Merrill was relegated to a small boat. Figuratively speaking he continued on to Upolu, where he was to labor. He was accompanied by Elder Ferrin.

This was on a Saturday afternoon. I was told that I was to give a speech in Samoan the following day in Church. I was told that it would be all right if I read it. Elder Watson would write it.

Sunday:  [Sept 30] Now the church house was right next door so we didn't have to go anywhere except church. The talk I gave: "Le ao usu e ua o fiafia lava I lenei fa' atasiga ma taumafai atu a nai upu e tusa ma lo outou gagana, ae ui lava ina le vaevae tele ua ou fia faiatu ni nai upu e tusa ma tatou fa' atasiga. Ua 'ou mautinoa lava le Tala Lelei, ma ua tatou fa' amalolosi pei ta' i o te ole atu I le Tama o e le lagai e feasoasoni mai ia te I tatau I aso fai so, o ile Suafa o Iesu Keriso, Amene."

There were quite a number of Saints gathered there. After church there we had a meal, fa' asamoa with "Pisoupo" and mango and fai iai, we learned to eat 'talo' and other things. Afterward, we rested for an hour or so. Then up and around 'til supper time. Then to bed. We had a regular bed, with mattress and cover; a sheet was plenty cover.

Monday:  [Oct 1] The first thing in the morning, after breakfast, we got my stuff ready and headed up to Mapusaga. I was told, on the way, that I was to be the new school principal. There were a few kids to teach, and that was that. Well, this was all news to me and I sort of cringed about it. On second thought, I sort of - well, I had just gotten out of high school. I'm able to teach high school. So teach I did. There were upwards of 10 in my class. I started with the 8th grade and worked my way down the more of their language I learned.

I lost my diary from August 1934 till January 1935, so anyway, I'll catch up.

After Elder Merrill left and I became a schoolteacher, I settled down to a routine of study and learn. I took the Book of Mormon as a teacher and started to learn the language by translating it into Samoan. I took it apart (figuratively) and put it back together. The flyleaf has the numbers in Samoan. The letters on the alphabet are fa, nga, mo, nu, pe, sa, ti vi, aa, e pronounced ae, fa, g pronounced nga, thus pango, ai, le, mo, sa, ti, vi, na. There are 14 letters in the alphabet. Anyway, it isn't that hard to read. And then there is the catch. Like a'u. That means there is a letter left out. Also there is a long a (two wit tama). The letter that is left out is k. Anyhow, that's the way it is.

The village is located at the top of a rise close to the top of a small mountain. It has a long sloping "Malae" or grassy stretch of ground. In this village there are two large Samoan homes located at either end of a large Malae. These are the homes of the boys and girls in the schools. The girl's school is called the Penina or Pearl, the boys the Ma'ataua or Famous Rock. They are taken care of by a man and wife, for each school, who are called to do the missionary line.

My students in Sauniatu, Upolu

Penina in Mapusanga, Tutuila

The way a typical day goes is, get up in the morning by six o'clock; eat breakfast, which may be anything left over from supper, (i.e.: talo, palusami, f'ai, mango, etc.) go to school (which is down below the house) till noon (the village brings in lunch), you eat it. Then back to school, until three-thirty and then the work of the village begins.

Once a week there is clean-up day when the afternoon is spent in cleaning up the village. One or two days per week are spent at the plantation. One or two days take a trip missionarying to Tula, Alao, Nu'uuli, etc. School averages five days per week, except when we take a trip around the island. This occurs twice a year when we go on a trip to gather up school children and missionary (more later).

Bathing is done downstairs in the bathroom. (Yes, we have one.) Otherwise, there is one for the girls and one for the boys. These are outside their respective houses. They are typical of showers, wherever you find them. Otherwise, they have a bath for everyone. You know, a pool where everyone bathes. Washing clothes is done by hand at the pool or wherever. (The natives are very clean; they bathe once or twice a day.)

The Elders have charge of a large 360-acre coconut plantation that is used for the exportation of "Copra" and the schools have their gardens in it.

There is a variety of work to do. There is the taro patch to tend. Or any growing thing. There is the fiafia or entertainment thing, which is done after hours. Or a big fiafia, which is done for a big part of the day. They are great entertainers. They are great dancers. They dance using the whole body. They are good musicians. I have seen choirs singing without books. They have bands that play on purpose. They are great fishers. Anything from shark to octopus to whatever.

January 1935

Tuesday:  [Jan 1]  My New Year started at twelve o'clock as the school celebrated earlier in the evening by painting everyone, and ended up by dancing all night. I slept nearly all New Year's Day. The next day the village had their painting.

Thursday: [Jan 3] we went to Pago Pago to hold Priesthood Meeting. We stayed there till Saturday when we came back to Mapusaga. In the afternoon we cleaned up the place a bit. Sunday, the other Elders, Watson and Gambles, went to Nu'uuli and held Branch Conference.

Monday:   [Jan 7] school began. School started off fine. Better than I expected.
Tuesday was work day for the village. Some girls came down from the "Penina" and cleaned up the house. After school, the school and the village played cricket. Pretty good game.

We have school pretty well underway now, the end of the week. The small son of the leader of the Ma'atua was remembered on his birthday anniversary by a supper. The elders were invited.

Friday:  [Jan 11] Elders Watson and Gambles, with the boys Viali and Lausi'i left for Tula for Branch Conference. Had supper at Penina that night. Went down to the plantation to weigh a "povi" for Charlie Reed.

Cricket game
Mapusaga? Tutuila Island

Saturday morning:  [Jan 12] Translated from the "Tusi a Mamona" about six hours. I can translate quite well but can't remember it. Saturday night I cooked my supper for the first time in Samoa. Not so bad.

Sunday morning:  [Jan 13] After Sunday School I had breakfast up to the "penina." (Getting to be a habit). Leone elected herself cook and got my dinner for me after church. Took charge of Church for the second time here. Mangalie's son, wife, and others came up in the afternoon to hear my accordion. It is quite an attraction in Mapusaga. All in all it was a well spent Sunday.

Monday:  [Jan 14] Held school with Samita teaching Misi [Elder] Etuati's room and Leone taking Tifaga's. Siniva's baby was born 11 pm Saturday. Had a pretty good school for the shape it was in. In the afternoon the other elders returned. They reported a very enjoyable and successful trip and a well attended and enjoyable conference. "All's well that ends well."

Tuesday:  [Jan 15] About the same old thing as usual, school and rain. As usual, work day for the village. We moved some of the logs back of the house into the low place to help fill it up. We are going to try to fill it up with rocks etc., and level it off.

Early Wednesday morning:  [Jan 16] Misi Uatsoni and Viali went to Pago Pago. They will be there till conference Sunday. We held school as usual and played cricket afterward. I also made out the tithing reports to take to Pago Pago. A little after sundown it started to rain and blow and it was still raining the next morning, so we didn't have school. We sat around the house reading most of the day. Lavila's house went "hay wire" so she moved into Fiso's room. They reminded me of a group of Gypsies.

Friday morning:  [Jan 18] We got up and got ready to go to Pago Pago. RAIN and blow. I never saw anything like it. Going down on the bus I had a raincoat on but got soaked from the waist down. When we arrived at Fagatogo it was raining too much to walk to Pago Pago, so we paid the bus 50 cents more to take us up. It kept it up all day so we just sat around, talked and studied.

Saturday about noon:  [Jan 19] Just before the boat arrived, the rain let up in the afternoon. I received some late Christmas cards and a letter from home. Also heard from Idelle Nicoll. Feature that.

Sunday:  [Jan 20] We held Branch Conference at Pago Pago. It was well attended in spite of the rain and a very good spirit prevailed. We did not come back to Mapusaga on account of the rain. We caught the bus back to Mapusaga on Monday at 9:00. Mrs. King was on the bus, also a Catholic sister. A bridge was washed out at Faga'alu so we walked across and got on a bus on to other side and came on. We did not have school Monday. We had supper down at Tifaga's Monday night.

Tuesday:  [Jan 22] It finally stopped raining long enough to hold school again. However, after school it rained enough to prevent the village from working.

Wednesday:  [Jan 23] the school played cricket in the rain after school. I studied on my speech for conference for a while in the afternoon. We, Elders Gambles, Watson and I, went down to Akonas for "prayer" in the evening. Gus Hannemen wrote up and said that Mr. McTaggert was planning to come up on Thurs. or Fri. to see how our school is getting along and visit.

Tifoga's Family

Thursday:  [Jan 24] School got all cleaned up but the superintendent didn't come. Had a clean school for once anyway. He didn't come the next day either. School, cleaned up the place. No rain.

Saturday:  [Jan 26] therefore, it was plenty hot. Did some studying in the morning, visited in the afternoon.

Sunday:  [Jan 27] Branch Conference in Mapusaga. We had two very well attended and excellent meetings. A lot of Tofiga's were changed. I was put in as "Pule o le aoga." Hope I don't spoil things.
Monday We are still expecting the Supt. Hasn't come yet. The kids are getting doubtful. Elder Watson and Viali went to Pago Pago for the mail from Upolu. Viali got left and rode the old bike up. Boy, was he mad. Got a letter from Alma Lambson. Surprised. We went down to the plantation to get a "povi." Got rained on coming back.
Tuesday:  [Jan 29] I've been here four months today. Mr. McTaggert finally came today. The band played. School had a fiafia. He dined with us. He thinks it is pretty good. Says our teachers have their English better than the Govt. teachers. A couple of cats got to fighting in our kitchen in the night. We got up and threw shoes at them. Tofa! Puss! Manuia le malaga.

The day after Mr. McTaggert was up [Wednesday] the kids just tried themselves to see how mean they could be. After school we played cricket. Of course it rained all through the game! Pretty good in spite of all, though, because we won. The Penina "tialie" got all clogged up with mud and they had to take it apart and clean it out.

It was still raining the next day [Thursday] but not enough to keep us from having school. The kids were better too. Wrote letters till I was black in the face. Didn't know that I had so many friends. We got the old bike out and rode it down the hill a couple of times. Had quite a bit of fun due to the fact that the brake didn't have a brake that would work half the time.

Friday morning:  [Feb 1] I read "Romance of a Missionary" in the 1908 edition of the Improvement Era. Pretty good story of the experiences of a missionary in England. We Elders went down to the plantation to get a "povi" for a fellow. Had quite a bit of fun. Some of the girls, Fofo, Tuloto, Lela, Fa'aiu'u, Laine, etc. made fa'ausi downstairs for the Primary dance which was held in the evening. They made a little under $10.00. Pretty good! They sold some "Mea 'ai" that they call pudding but it is more like a cake. I take pleasure in reporting that a good time was had by all.

We were "dead" the next day [Saturday] to pay for staying up. Read quick a bit in the morning. Salatima came up and cleaned and straightened things a bit in the morning. About three o'clock we got some dinner. Misi Etuati says that it's too bad he's past eating. So he didn't.

Sunday:  [Feb 3] We had some regular meetings for a change. Didn't do much before Church, but sleep. Alimoni sent up a note for me to prepare a speech "fa'asamoa" for Mutual. I got it all ready but she stopped the meeting before she got to my part so of course I didn't give it.

Monday:  [Feb 4] School as usual. Seems as though it's the same old thing week after week so this book will be a repetition.
Tuesday:  [Feb 5] was a school day, as usual, but it was Elder Watson's "aso fanau," so that varied things some. The leaders came down for supper. It wasn't so good. Of course we had a "fiafia" afterward.

Wednesday:  [Feb 6] Elder Gambles decided to go to Leone, so Elder Watson taught school. Viali went to Pago Pago to see about getting some drums to finish the "Popo dryer." He missed the bus and hired another. It took him about $3 to get back. (Boy, did Elder Watson snort.)

In the afternoon we played cricket, as usual. Had a pretty good game. We won, of course. The school had singing practice, as usual. We are trying to get some songs started for the conference the last of March.

Thursday:  [Feb 7] there wasn't much doing. Ends school for a day or two and that's quite a relief, especially for the kids, especially after they have been mean as they have. Visited for a while in the afternoon and that's about as far as I got.

Friday:  [Feb 8] About all we got done was to look for a cooler place. (We never found it though.) Also got a speech prepared for Sunday at Tafuga. Penina had a party downstairs in the schoolhouse to raise some "tupe." I helped Eti in his "orchestra." Two of the boys are pretty good. Lafi on the clarinet and Fialaga on the cornet. There was also a blind boy came from somewhere. He was surely "poto" on the guitar.

Saturday:  [Feb 9] I spent a good part of the day studying my speech. Also visited awhile. Found out Saturday night that I would have to walk down the trail to Tafuga instead of going to Nu'uuli on the boat and crossing the big bay. The waves were too high in the big bay to cross.

Sunday:  [Feb 10] In the morning Tiave, Mila and I caught the first bus and rode down the trail. We walked to Tafuga over a very muddy and slippery trail. When we got to the bay it was perfectly calm. Did we feel cheap. Arrived at the house at about 9 am. Aukuso (Gus A. Hanneman) was already there, having come to Nu'uuli the night before. We held a meeting shortly after my arrival. Only he and I did the speaking. Afterward we had the usual Samoan meal of talo, palusami, boiled chicken and fish.

About 12 o'clock we decided to across to Nu'uuli so got ready and boarded two "paupaus." Nifo's brother Tula rowed me across and Samu rowed Gus. We barely escaped a huge tidal wave that washed over into Nu'uuli for the first time since 1932. The "Sami" was really making a noise and commotion.

After resting till about 3 pm we held a meeting at Sola'i's. Sapiga, Me, Tifaga and Aukuso were speakers. Afterward we caught the bus to Mapusaga, Gus to Pago Pago. Attending Mutual at Mapusaga making one meeting in three towns today. Quite an enjoyable trip.
Monday:  [Feb 11] the same old thing, school. Elder Watson and Viali went to Pago Pago to stay awhile. Village had a fono that we didn't know about till it was called. Tofa! Soifua!

Tuesday:  [Feb 12] The kids were terrible in school again today. Seems that they go in fits and starts. With the exception of being darker skinned, they are just like a bunch of Papalagi kids. Today was supposed to be work day for the village but they were all at the plantation so there wasn't many of the village to do anything. Most of the boys were working and the school had only six girls and the school teachers to cut the grass. Not much else happened that I can remember, except I tried to learn to play some Samoan tunes on the guitar.

Wednesday:  [Feb 13] school as usual. We held a big cricket game, as usual. The other side won, as usual. Then the girls on our side played the others, and they won again. Poor luck. We all went down to Tifaga's for prayer. Had quite a good visit. We also got our letters off for America. After school did a little more studying than usual. It rained some more so we didn't bother to go outside for anything.

Wednesday:  [Feb 14] The same night Eti, Fiso, Leoni, Loe, Lele came up to practice some songs. They didn't get far, however as it was time for the bell [prayers] as soon as they got wound up.

Friday:  [Feb 15] got ready to go to Pago Pago to receive the new elders. Caught the 3 pm bus down. Such a mess! Crowded to the top. Of all the old dirty bags that didn't get on. Arrived early. Same old place. By the way it's the first time down since the last boat, I believe.

Saturday:  [Feb 16] The big day! We all got spruced up and went down to say "Talofa" to the new Elders. They arrived off the boat about 1 pm. Elder Lunt was the first one off. He came strolling up looking all hot under the collar. We knew right off that he was a missionary, because he had his Book of Mormon in his hand, as if he were about to hold a street meeting.

President and Sister Waddoups with missionaries

The next boat arrived, including those going on to New Zealand and Kangaroo Land. We tried to get a bus or taxi to take up to the house, but none were to be had. We all walked the 3/4 mile up to Pago Pago where we had a nice visit and eased the visitors feelings on a few disputed points on Samoan ways, Etc.

About 3 pm we did "Tofa" to the Elders going on. We then got our mail and came back to Pago Pago. Elders Allen, Gambles, Bandley and I took in the show. It was "The Dark Ranch." Surely was punk. That made three times down and back, so when we arrived home at last, were quite ready to go to sleep. Which we did.
Sunday:  [Feb 17] Attended Sunday School at Pago Pago. Afterward we had an Elders Meeting to start the new personnel off on the right foot. The chief of Pago Pago, Tupu of the island died. They wanted the choir from Mapusaga to come down to help sing the same night, so we got a bus to go up after them for $3.00. We, Elders Gambles, Lunt, Allen and I came up to Mapusaga on it about 2 pm. We arrived just before Church let out, picked up the 16 singers and saw them off to Pago Pago. (They sang about 3 times to the other choirs one time apiece. They sang about 15 times to the others 5. They surely went over big. They were also the smallest one present.) We attended Mutual here at Mapusaga. This ended Memorable Sunday in good old Samoa.

Monday:  [Feb 18] We didn't have any school as the big part of the upper grade were still at Pago Pago. We went up and played the kids a game of baseball. Of course we won. At first a small boy named Mani fanned Elder Allen twice. Boy did he look funny? Elder Gambles went to Leone for some needed supplies. We didn't have any thing to eat, till he came back. Then we ate fa'asamoa. That's breaking in the new Elders right. And thus ended another week in Samoa. It's getting better all the time. Well Tofa! Soifua! Fai si miti lelei!

Tuesday:  [Feb 19] We started off right by letting him teach school. We finally struggled through it, though. After we had some "mea ai" we went down to the plantation with the village to clean up on their side of the road and the plantation fence. After cleaning the road and fence they proceeded to clear up the road to the Popo shed. We returned to the house and just after bathing Elders Watson and Bandley came up from Pago Pago." Hail! Hail! the gang's all here. Such a crowd. I being in charge of the food am having quite a time figuring it all out.

Wednesday:  [Feb 20] The next day was school as always. We had singing practice, as usual, the last half of the school. We all went up to the "Malai" and played Cricket with the school. Something queer about this game. Oh, yes. We lost. We had the new Elders sleep on the mats on the floor. I'll bet a dime they were sure soft and they slept well.

Thursday:  [Feb 21] After school we all got ready and went to Pago Pago on the bus for Priesthood Meeting. Elders Gambles, Allen, and Lunt came back on the bus the same night. We other three caught the 11 pm bus for Mapusaga the next morning.

In the afternoon we did quite a bit of studying. The Mata'ua had a party downstairs. All I did was help out the players with my guitar. They made about $22.00. I didn't think there was that much money in Samoa.

Friday We are having D & C classes in the morning now. We seem to be getting quite a bit out of it. A little after noon we all went down to the plantation. We went about up to the other end. Played football with a coconut. To top it all off it rained on us. Came back, cleaned up, and had "ava" out on the front porch with Mafafai. He said it was "Lelei tele."

Sunday:  [Feb 24] at Mapusaga was the same thing as usual. The new Elders all spoke in Church. Pretty good. After Church we went in front of Alisa's place and listened to the band for awhile Leone brought us out some "Samoan lemonade."

Monday:  [Feb 25] Misi Panalei began teaching, the other Elders except we two, left for Pago Pago. They plan on going from there to Tula and Aloe, at the East end of the island for a visit of a few days. We ate a late breakfast at recess. The last meal for a week that will be half decent. They sent up some "Mea ai" on the bus. Just enough to be a temptation.

Tuesday:  [Feb 26] Some boys were absent from school without being excused. That will go slightly hard with them. Oh well, such is life. It was also work day. Did we tear things up. Had to move more "minauga" than work. Got the house cleaned up anyway. We were just getting ready to "tialie" when we got a call to go up and administer to Toso. He was a pretty sick man. The same night we went up to the church house and watched Fiso's dance for conference. It's pretty good. I got school Tuesday on last week so guess won't bother to repeat it.

Wednesday morning:  [Feb 27] The first thing, Mr. Slack and a sailor that came down on the Monterey the same time as I did, were up here to see how the medicine was coming. Mr. Slack is the new man in the dispensary at Leone to take Mr. King's place. Of course we had school, and of course we were playing Cricket and to top it all off, we lost. I went down in the evening to see Siugua about cutting copra and also see about moving the scales down to the plantation.

Thursday:  [Feb 28] Elder Bandley and I are here alone. It seems that one half of this will have to be 'Taught School." It's about all that we get done. We sent Lausii down to Leone for some medicine and "Pisoupo." We actually got in a little studying on the "Tusi a Mamona."
My diary has a place in it for February 29 but there's nothing to put in, as there is no 29th till next year.

Friday:  [Mar 1] dawned bright and clear, but it fooled me. It turned out to be hot, yes, very hot, in fact. I tried to answer a letter or two but didn't make much headway. We did get a little study in on the Book of Mormon. In the afternoon Elder Bandley tore up some old gas lamp's to see if he could fix them. It got dark, however, before he got far. So postponed it till tomorrow.

In the morning [Saturday] we did some translating. Finally, we got wound up and made 3 lamps out of 4. Not bad. We also got ambitious and fixed the holes out at the back of the house by the window. We put in a day altogether.

Sunday, first of the month, of course that makes it Fast Sunday. About the same as usual. Attended three meetings and passed the time between by laying around. After Church we went down to Tifaga's for dinner. That night I had to go up and tell Leone to go down to the Peninas and sleep while Uiliata stayed with the place.

Monday It gets hotter every day. I didn't think it could get any hotter. Anyway, we taught school through it all. We had prayer up Penina. We had a pretty good supper, after which we went up to the church house and listened to singing practice for awhile.

We had gotten ready for bed when Lausii came rushing in for the floodlight. We went out to the back thinking Mateo was making a "row" because the "Au alofa" was practicing overtime. By the time we decided there wasn't any thing stirring at the church and started out the front door. Mateo came in with a shotgun and handed it to me saying "here take this quick and hide it. Don't let anyone have it." So I took it in the kitchen or dining room and put it beside the "safe."

We then went down to see what it was all about. When we got there, there was only Tifaga, Mateo and Isaako. Mateo said that Uiva and Eti had got in a quarrel up at Uiva's over a banjo of his that Eti wanted to borrow to take to practice. They had some words and Eti left. After he had gone and gotten to our corner, Uiva was caught by Mateo, just up on the hill, getting a line up on Eti with a shot gun. Mateo grabbed him and took the gun and brought it to me. They had him up to Alisa's and Eti had already gone to the church, so we talked awhile and went up and to bed. And thus began a memorable night.

Tuesday:  [Mar 5] The next day we taught school, as usual. Afterward we had some work for the village. We couldn't get agreed on what to do, so they finally got angry, and surely accomplished some work. The old guys tried to pull a lot of "Tongafiti" but they didn't work. Well, such is life. Tofa! Soifua! Till next week.

After school on Wednesday we had a pretty good Cricket game. Of course we won! Just as we were about through playing, the Elders returned from Tula. We had quite a reunion. Its quite a feeling to be by yourself or with one other person for a week and then have a crowd descend and make one forget the trouble they have had.

Thursday we had no school because a lot of the kids were absent and there wasn't enough left to pay to hold school. We all went down to the plantation and had a great time for a few hours branding calves. Misi "Lune" from Salt Lake didn't turn out to be much of a cowboy so we put him to watch the gate. But he let twenty head through. What fun! We all had our picture taken after we got through. Hope it s good. We came back, "Taile'd," and then held Elders Meeting. That night we held court for a bunch of school kids and three women. They were duly tried and punished.

The next morning Friday all of us Elders except Misi Etuati caught the bus for Pago Pago. We visited, etc., till Elder Gambles came a little after 3 pm. We went down to see Elders Allen & Lunt off for Upolu. They left on the "Lupe," a small freight and passenger boat.

Branding Crew

We returned to Pago Pago till show time then all went down. It was "When Ladies Meet." Phew! Rotten! It was about the worst I ever saw.

Saturday morning we caught the bus back to Mapusaga. Hot! It hasn't rained for a week. Maybe this place is going to dry up and blow away. Lausii discovered that the organ is going haywire. We fixed one key on it. It's still not so good. Wrote a few letters to send to America in the evening.
Sunday dawned a hot day, but before Church it rained. Faafetai lava. Of course we attended all meetings. After Church we all went up and paid Alisa a visit. Thus ends another Sunday in Samoa.
Monday morning the whole village went down to the plantation and gathered firewood for the "Popo dryer." Boy, did we work. Came back and practiced program for Conference. Boy, were we tired! And I did enjoy the bed. Well I'll see you next week! Tofa!

Tuesday  [Mar 12] morning we repeated operations and went to the plantation again. About 1 pm today, they were starting to cut popo's. Elder Gambles, Bandley, and I went down to watch them start off. We went down to the end the other side of the corral. I tried my hand at the game. Cut some for Va'ai and some for Samita. We came up to the shed and weighed copra in before drying. We were down to the plantation 'till about 2 pm.

Say, by the way, a description of the "Copra shed and dryer." It stands back from the road about hundred yards. It is built of rough boards and galvanized roofing. It has a furnace in it built by a man from Upolu. The heat goes through a big pipe made of gas barrels, through a pit dug under the ground and then up through a chimney. The dryer is built over the pit and is made of tin. They have places built to slide in trays of popo made of screen on the bottom and wood sides. After it is filled, the doors on one side, that hinge on top, are closed and the popo proceeds to dry. After it is dry, it is weighed in and is put in the shed where it is sacked and hauled away. Well, guess that ought to suffice for a description.

Copra shed

After we quit at the Fa'atogo at 2 pm we came back up to the village and practiced program for conference for a while. We did a little studying tonight.
The next day Wednesday we practiced on the program in the morning. In the afternoon the school had a half-hearted cricket game. I went up for a while, but got disgusted and came back. Not much stirring. Studied a little in the evening.
Thursday we got all ready to go to the Fa'atoaga but found a baseball and decided to try it out on a new glove that Elder Watson got from the Seth Parker. We went out west of the house and played work up till we lost the ball. Then we remembered where we started and proceeded to down. Elder Bandley and I came back and held practice for the school in the afternoon.
The next morning Friday we repeated the operation. We went to the Fa'atoaga, taught school, etc. But in the evening the teachers had an entertainment downstairs. It proceeded to rain. Before the party was all out, the leaders had gone home. When we rang the first "Vavao" there were couples scattered all over the place. Boy, did Elder Gambles blow smoke. He proceeded to ring the second bell then and there.

Saturday morning we went to Pago Pago on the 7 am bus. I met President Sears for the first time. After breakfast he and I went downtown on business. We just got started when it proceeded to rain and in spite of the umbrellas, we got wet. After walking all over the Station we got everything attended to and came back to Pago.

After dinner, Viali, Lausii, Lafi and I got in two "pau pau" and rowed out in the bay to the Seth Parker for a look around. We tied up and climbed aboard. We went on up to the aft deck where the Captain in charge was. He asked us to wait a few minutes so we watched the S.S. Monterey anchor and begin to land people and freight.

Then we went below and I looked over their musical instruments. There was a very good banjo there and I purchased it. Lausii got to play his first piano there. He also played this organ. We went from there to the Seth Parker cabins where his make-up, band etc. was laying. He had a Marlin fish mounted that he had caught. It was about six and a half or seven feet long. His bunk tables and one or two instruments were there. Quite the cabin. We asked him about them but he was in a hurry, so we left. By the way, we went down to the cabin for some banjo strings.

When we got ready to go the wind was whipping up the waves pretty good. So we decided to row ashore instead of going back down the bay to the house. We had quite an exciting ride to land. Just about tipped over once or twice. I had to hold the banjo on my lap to keep from getting it wet by the waves coming over the top as it was. By the way, Lausi'i and Lafi, trying to row down the bay, did tip over. They had quite a time.

I walked the mile from home. When I arrived there, President Woods, wife and daughter, missionaries going to Tonga, New Zealand and Australia were there. Also Elder Page from Provo arrived for this mission. It was quite a day. They were all curious about how to get a coconut and eat it. After their curiosity had been satisfied, they all returned to the ship, and bid tofa to Samoa. That evening after supper we held Elder's Meeting.
Sunday morning Elders Gambles, Bandley and I boarded the ice bus for Mapusaga. RAIN, boy did we get it. Elders Gambles and Bandley stayed at Nu'uuli and held a meeting. Lela also came up for a visit to Mapusaga. I came up to Mapusaga, arriving just after Sunday School. Lela and Fa'aete'ete came for a visit before Church. I took charge of Church. Also spoke. After Church went down to Tifaga's. Satele was up from Nu'uuli. Elders Gambles and Bandley came up after Church.

President & Sister Sears
Elder Despain and I in back, Elder Ferrin

President Sears was in this group as a young missionary (abt 1895). He's third from the left.

Monday, started the same old thing over. Study and practice. Had a fiafia for two visitors from Upolu, down at Tifaga's. A fellow from Faleniu came over and performed. It was pretty good. Well. Tofa.

Tuesday:  [Mar 19] We all went to the plantation in the morning. I cut some copra and did a few other things. Elder Bandley and I came back early and got ready for practice. The program practice was the same thing as usual, a lot of noise and confusion. Elders Watson and Pace came up from Pago Pago. The next day was very dead. We all did a little studying in the morning. We held practice, as usual, and it rained.

Thursday, Elders Gambles and Watson took the old truck "siona" to Pago Pago. They are going to try to trade it off. We had practice as usual. Also had practice in the evening.
Friday was spent in studying on speeches and watching the buses for Elder Gamble. About two, just after we had finished some talo ma palusam, he arrived with some mea ai. Boy, was it welcome! He came up in the station wagon and brought some paint for the house. Sekai (Sky) also came up with him.

Penina had an entertainment downstairs. It turned out very well indeed. They made quite a wad of "tupe." Close to twenty dollars, I think. Elder Pace saw his first Samoan dancing, which was very good.

The old truck

The next morning Saturday we went to the plantation to ride the "Bronk." We surely had a lot of fun. I got on him and we all started out across the plantation. He got to shaking his head, playing around and the latigo leather broke and caught me off balance. I cracked my back on the only rock in 50 yards. Such luck. I still wanted to take a ride, so I climbed on bareback.

We got on up in the plantation a few hundred feet farther and the other three tore off on a dead run and left me fighting the "solafanua." He finally balked and so I took off it and also took a rest. By and by the others came back and Elder Gambles gave me some "Toso" and so we arrived safely back at the corral and turned them loose. Lausi'i got us some nui's and we came home.

When we arrived at the house, we found that President Sears and Elder Watson had arrived. The band played and we had "ava" with Magalei. In the evening we held an Elder's Meeting.
Sunday was as hot as usual. Mrs. Hanneman spoke in Sunday school. Fa'asiga spoke and President Sears spoke in church. Elder Watson was in Nu'uuli, was back for Church. All in all it wasn't bad. The only difference from the usual thing, however, being a change of speakers.
Monday we started school or practice, rather, at the usual school time. It's going to be a pretty good program after all. President Sears and Elders Watson and Pace went to Pago Pago. We three were left here; Elders Gambles, Bandley and I spent most of the afternoon in study. Ia manuia le po!

Tuesday:  [Mar 26] We held conference practice in the morning. Maybe it will turn out all right yet. I hope so. Did some studying in the afternoon. Fiso came up and we talked awhile. Afterward we went down and played catch for awhile. They had a practice march for the school, with the band.
Wednesday we did some studying in the morning. It was too hot in the afternoon to do much, so we just lay around and rested up for conference.
Next day [Thursday] we did some more studying and got ready to go to Pago Pago.
[Friday] We all got up bright and early and went down to catch the bus; the first two were too loaded. We had quite a time to straighten out the buses for the village.

Finally, Sinapi asked us to go down with him in an old "Chiv" that he had hired. So we Elders, Gambles, Bandley and I piled in. The old thing ran out of gas two or three times and he had to fill up the vacuum. He killed his engine on three of the steep hills and would block it with some small flat stones and jump out and leave it to crank it. Finally he backed down and ran into the side of the cliff. When we finally got there it cost us 50c apiece.

In the late afternoon we held Priesthood Meeting; it was well attended, and enjoyed by all. Just as it let out, however, Max Hanneman and Tuli got into an argument and Max smacked him and cut his lip. Of course that didn't help the spirit of conference along in the least.

Saturday morning we held another meeting, and in the afternoon, the Au Alofa held their meeting. I didn't attend, however. In the afternoon the band and the Penina staged a parade. Maybe you don't think it was swell. The band wore red caps, white shirts, and a blue lava lava with three white stripes around the bottom. The girls had on white blouses with skirts with wide stripes over the shoulder and low "u" cuts front and back. Later Tula pulled off their dance of girls. Boy, was it good. They also had some girl soloist dances and a boys knife dancer.

At 7:30 the same night Mapusaga's program began. Then the curtain was drawn and three long quarter circle rows of boys and girls in uniform just about overwhelmed us. After the prayer and another song they withdrew and the program took place. The band had several selections that were very good. With the exception of about five or six parts from Pago Pago and Aua the rest was Mapusaga's. Everyone was held almost spellbound until the last song. To see the program that you hoped would be passing, go over as was said Wednesday, "The best carried out and managed that we've seen in years. Also costumes and players." I literally "died happy" that night when I went to bed.
Sunday after the first meeting we had some pictures taken of we missionaries and some of the band and Penina. Then we went up to a house that used to belong to High Chief Mauga. We ate dinner there. About noon we all went up back of the road a way and I baptized eighteen Samoans in a little stream under a big tree, where a place had been prepared.

Mapusaga Boy's band

Mapusaga Girls from Penina

They are as follows: 1. Au of Mapusaga2. Aumua of Tula 3. Selisa of Amanave 4. Etevise of Amanave 5. Toe of Lotonu'u 6. Aifili of Aunu'u 7. Eliga of Aua 8. Fa'avalea of Aua 9. Ifo of Aunu'u 10. Aimeavelu of Pago Pago 11. Vaipou of Pago 12. Siua'ana of Falelatai 13. Enese of Pago 14. Ta'avili of Faga'alu 15. Fulu of Faleniu 16. Leaumau of Tula 17. Moloni of Alao 18. Ofisa of Utumea.

When we got back and I got cleaned up, we confirmed them. I confirmed: 1. Toe 2. Vaipou 3. Moloni 4. Also ordained Ala, a Deacon. We also ordained Viali and Poina, Teachers. Misi Alisa blessed a baby.

At 7:30 held the last meeting of conference. Everything turned out O.K. lava. Oh yes, I gave my "Lauga" in the first meeting. Some of the natives were called to different parts of the island to labor. Tifaga was called to Alao. Au to Tula. Toso to Pago Pago. Lealao was called to lead the boys here, at Mapusaga. Api to Tafuga, Tinei to Nu'uuli. Luteru is still with the Penina. Thus it goes.

(Another telling about the same conference:

Samoa consists of 10 islands. The four larger ones are very mountainous: Namely Savai'i, Upolu, Tutuila and Manu'a. Tutuila and Manu'a belong to the U.S.A. but the rest belong to Great Britain. In our Mission here we have seven Branches, Pago Pago, Mapusaga, Tula, Alao, Aua, Nu'uuli, and Tafuga. The Papalagi (White) Elders look over the Pago Pago and the Mapusaga Branches

We have a Mission School at Mapusaga [on Tutuila] with over 100 students in attendance. Pago Pago is the island or District headquarters. Some people have a mistaken idea that all missionaries of the Church just travel around and hold meetings. I would like to change that idea as far as Samoa is concerned.

Our best work is done in schools. That is the reason that we have the school there. Two Elders are there teaching regular school any time you would like to drop in.

Maybe it is impossible for you to do so, so I will give you a little sketch of the school. We have only six grades in this school but they are able to take care of the same work that the grade higher does in the government school. Besides the regular schoolwork we have a twenty-four-piece band and an excellent choir or chorus. The band is the second best on the island and the choir is by far the best.

Students at Mapusaga

The Elders have charge of a large 360-acre coconut plantation that is used for the exportation of "Copra" and the schools have their gardens in it. Maybe you wonder why all this about the school. The school played a very important part in the conference.

Friday, March 29th. After a month or more of hard work on the program the day for the long-looked-for journey came. The school walked the 10 miles to Pago Pago where the conference was to be held. The same evening the priesthood meeting was held with a very good attendance and spirit.

The Elders in attendance to this conference were; President Sears, Odelle J. Watson, Edward T. Gambles, Willard B. Bandley, Carl A. Pace, and I, Ivan M. Lewis. After the meeting we obtained a small rowboat and went for a ride out in the bay. It was after dark and the lights on the other side of the bay made by the Samoan fishermen in their small "Paopao" outriggers made a very beautiful sight. We rowed out to them and watched their maneuvers as they rapidly brought in the fish. We then circled a four-masted schooner, the "Seth Parker" that had been disabled some time previous and was still at anchor in the bay. After this refreshing row we were off to bed.

Saturday morning dawned bright and clear, all ready for the spiritual feast that we were about to partake of. The building was well filled before the bell had rung for the beginning of the meeting, and Tula and Alao had not yet arrived. Just as the bell started to ring they came in and found places. There was scarcely standing room for them.

President Sears presided and conducted this meeting. It turned out to be in very deed a spiritual feast. Several of the Native missionaries and the Mapusaga Choir furnished the songs, except the last one, which was sung by the whole congregation

In the afternoon the Relief Society had their meeting. A very good meeting was held.

Island of Auaua

Pago Pago Conference

Shortly after the Relief Society meeting the band gathered and they and the girls from the Penina paraded up around the road at the edge of the bay. They certainly made a striking picture as they marched along. The band with their red, white and blue uniforms, red "pulo" (caps), white shirts, blue "lavalavas" and a red sash around their waist. (Of course they don't wear shoes). The Penina in their black and white uniforms gave an added touch to the picture.

Just at dusk the Apia Branch gave their dance. It consisted of 11 girls and a boy dressed in the Samoan costume of grass skirt and black bodice. The boy dressed in a short lavalava with the "knife-dancer" leaves around his neck, wrists and ankles. They executed their fascinating dance to the rhythm of the Samoan dance drum (a rolled mat beaten with sticks) in a catchy time and a song sung by two Samoan men and a girl. The knife dancer was a young boy fifteen years of age. He twirled the knife rapidly, swinging it from hand to hand, spinning it around his body, under each leg as it swung into the air, and at last leaving you breathless by spinning it around the back of his neck. He never lost a beat in the rhythm and ended his part lying on his back, twirling the knife over his head with one hand, The girls executed a regular Samoan dance, swinging to and fro, maneuvering their hands into such grace and beauty that you could not believe your own eyes.

At 7:00 the school program began. It was held on the lawn at the side of the church house. They had made a stage out of palm leaves and had at front a curtain. It was a very good outdoor setting. There were seats placed on the lawn to sit on. All the seats from the church house and a few more had been placed there. Soon after the lights had been placed the seats were full and by the time we were ready to begin, there were almost as many standing, watching for it to begin.

The school was arranged in three curved rows at the front of the stage, the first row sitting, second kneeling and the back standing. They all had their uniforms and under the light made a very striking picture. As they began their song the audience was almost instantly quiet. They had been rather rowdy and we expected some jeers or a few hoots but we were most pleasantly disappointed.

The program consisted of songs, dances, short talks and acts, and celebrations from the band and things of a more or less religious nature, all from the members of the school. Needless to say, there were a number of students to the school when we returned. It brought tears to our eyes as we saw the program that we had worked on so hard, come to so perfect an end.

Sunday morning the small church building was again filled to overflowing before the bell had rung. There were quite a number of people who were unable to get inside. This, like all the rest of the meetings was very spiritual and was enjoyed by all in attendance.

After this meeting we had photographs taken of the Elders, the band and the Penina. We then had breakfast in High Chief Mauga's house. (He died in February.) Afterward we were accompanied by a crowd of Saints up to a place in a small stream of water that had been prepared for the baptisms. After the preliminaries were over I had the privilege of baptizing eighteen people.

The afternoon session followed at 2:30. In it the changes were made in the district and the officers names were read and sustained. There were quite a few old missionaries releases among the Samoans, some received other calls and others were released for good.

The last meeting convened at 7:30 in the evening and ended one of the best conferences ever held. We are well pleased with our work here. One of us, Elder Watson will be going home soon. We will miss him, but the work of the Lord must go on. When one drops out there is always another to take his place. He may be better and he may not, just the same he is here, and life must go on.)

Also Elder Gambles is Branch President of Mapusaga with Elder Bandley as First Councilor, Elder Pace second Counselor, I'm Pule o le a'oga.
We stayed at Pago Pago Monday till about 3:00 when we came back to Mapusaga with a busload of chow, lumber, etc. So we are now ready to start spreading the paint.

Tuesday:  [Apr 2] Good old April. That is my birth month. To start it off right we erected a scaffold. Now don't get me wrong. For painting. The weatherman seemed to guess what we were going to do so he turned on the water and gave us some rain. In the afternoon Elder Watson and Viali came up. President Sears bid us Tofa. And then left for Upolu.
Wednesday, We started the A'oga once again. Elder Bandley and I are teaching the higher grades. Fiso is the same old class, Fata the same and Sianava is teaching in Tifaga's place. It might be mentioned that it started off pretty good. After school we got our brushes, that is Misi Panalei and I, and helped paint on the house for the rest of the day. And the evening and the morning was the same.

Thursday:  [Apr 4] We're not getting much the rest of the week except teaching school. So today is a repetition of yesterday.

Friday is the same, all but one thing. I got supper. Not bad.
Saturday was the big day in Mapusaga. Lela from Fa'agatoga and Tulafono were wed in our own little church. Elder Watson performed the ceremony. We went to Eti's for the wedding breakfast Fa'asamoan, of course. They had a seven-story cake. After a day of tafau they ended up with a dance down below. And what a dance it turned out to be.
Fast Sunday was the same as any other Fast Sunday. We went to the meetings and slept between times. Elder Pace and I were called upon extemporaineously in conjoint to sing a song. So we sang "Praise to the Man." We did okay, but I hope we don't have to do it again. 17

Monday:  [Apr 8] Well, school has really begun. We may be about to make it into a real school, not saying that it's not a fairly good one now, but we aim to make it better. At present we are very poorly fixed as far as desks are concerned. The pupils sit cross legged on mats spread out upon the floor. We have a good supply of books, chalk, pencils, tablets etc. This ends another seven days so I'll sign off.

Tuesday:  [Apr 9] We are still painting the house. It is going to look pretty good. We are painting it white and trimming it in green. Of course, we taught school today. At night after prayer we had pay day for the copra cutters and naturally the tithing poured in.
After school Wednesday we all went down to the plantation and got a povi for the big fiafia to be held that night for Lealao who is to be the boys Ma'ataua leader. They had it down to Tifaga's or rather the teacher's house. We only stayed till after the eats. Then we came up to the house and ordained Au and Tifaga, Elders. Au was ordained by O.J. Watson Tifaga by E.T. Gambles, Lealao was set apart as boys leader by O.J. Watson, Tifaga was set apart a missionary to Alao by E.T. Gambles. Au was set apart as a missionary to Tula by I.M. Lewis. Elanoa was set apart as missionary to Tula By O.J. Watson. Usuia was set apart as a missionary to Pago Pago by W.B. Bandley. Sineva was set apart as a missionary to Alao by C.A. Pace. Uoesi was set apart as a leader with Lealao by O.J. Watson.
Taught school the next day. Afterward graded some spelling papers. Got supper too. After prayer the leaders came up for a fono about the school, its laws, rules and regulations. I made out the tithing reports during the fono. We had some lemonade, then some bread, butter and salmon sandwich with cheese. Dry, ohhhhhh! Well, we had quite a time anyway.
Friday we tinkered around the house finding things to fix. I did quite a lot of studying in the afternoon. Oh yes, in the morning Elders Gambles and Watson went down to Pago Pago to get things straightened up preparatory to Elder Watson leaving in May.

Tuesday:  [May 21] The school teaching goes merrily on. I went down to Pago Pago at 3:00 for some school supplies. I arrived at 4:00 and went up to the administration building and saw Fa'amau about the things for school. I went on to Pago Pago and saw Elder Gambles about the togafiti also that Tuloto & Laita had planned. He saw Asuega and decided that they had better leave.

Painting the house

Elder Bandley reading letter

I then came back down to Fa'agato go where I found that the school supplies wouldn't be up until the next morning. Caught the bus back to Mapusaga. Arrived there 6:00 Elder Bandley and I went up to the Ma'ataua and talked over the advice from Elder Gambles. We finally decided that they would have to go. By the time that we had finished, the prayer bell had rung, so we had prayer there .

She will leave in the morning. He came down and said Tofa. He stayed in Faleniu. The next morning Lutero took Tuloto down to Pago Pago on the first bell.

Wednesday:  [May 22] Mr. Southerland, principal of the Poyer School, came up to Mapusaga about 9:00. He gave the school the Standard Arch Test. The results will help us out by telling how we stand with the government schools. After he had finished with the tests, he came for a visit. We had lunch and afterward took a look around the village. He wanted to get some siapo which he did around ataliniu. We had a cricket game up on the malai. Everyone had an enjoyable time. He left at 4:00 for home. All is well that ends well.

Thursday:  [May 23] The school was only about half cocked on account of the doings yesterday. The afternoon was spent in studying and reading.

Friday was spent in writing letters, etc. The Mutual had a 'fale aiga' downstairs. They only made $4.40. It wasn't such a hot dance. The next morning began by rain. Elder Gambles, Pace and Tina came up. He brought Tuloto back up, as she didn't go home, but went to the house at Pago Pago. The leaders came up and we talked things out. All finally agreed that it was best if we took them back into school.

Sunday was just another day. Three meetings as usual. Of course it rained! Elder Pace and I taught school.

Monday:  [May 27] Elders Gambles and Bandley down in the teacher's house. They decided on a lot of things. Everyone is going to build a new big house before next Conference; they are going to clean up banana patches, etc.

Tuesday:  [May 28]  Elder Pace and I continued teaching school. It rained most of the day. Some of our horses got out of the plantation due to the carelessness of the people in closing the gate. About noon we got word they were in Nu'uuli and had damaged a man's tobacco plantation. We got out the law book and found that we were liable to a $250 fine or 6 months or both. We sent a couple of the boys down after them. Fa'alavelave tele i lenei aso.

The next morning [Wednesday] the man from Nu'uuli came up for the settlement of damages. We fixed things up for $10.

Thursday Still teaching school. We had a cricket game after school. Our side won as usual. There isn't much doing today, it's always like this on school days. Did some studying in the evening. Decoration day is here again and this is the way they celebrate it. We got the old paintbrush, stirred up some white paint and put the first coat on the hall and kitchen.

In the afternoon the Mapusaga Blue Eagles played the Fabnin Civilinas in a game of baseball. It was a fairly good game from the 5th inning on. Took that long for the Blue Eagles to get to batting. B.E. won 18 to 15. Of course it started to rain just at the finish of the game. How's that for a Decoration Day in Samoa?

Friday It's the end of the month and we have no mea ai so we just lay around, did some "muimui" ing most of the forenoon. In the "Afiafi" we remodeled the office. It doesn't look so bad now. The Au Alofa had a fale aiga down below in the evening. It was pretty good.

Saturday:  [Jun 1] The girls clean up the house now on Saturday instead of Tuesday. They overhauled it in the morning while we strolled around and talked things over. Poyer School came up because Fiso hadn't told Tauveve that we already had a game scheduled with Faleniu so the teachers had the job of entertaining them.

Well we had the game, though it didn't finish. About the first half of the 9th inning a couple of guys on the Faleniu team had a misa so we ruled them out. Faleniu team apologized for the conduct of the players and all was well except the two tagata sese. They had it out in Faleniu. Mapusaga was on the high side of the score when the game ended. Ae paita'i sa fa'ai'u le aso i le fiafia I tagata uma.

Sunday was spent in Mapusaga. I attended two meetings, as usual. After Mutual Sinapi and Luteru came up to make out a money order for some things. They left about 11:00

Shortly afterward Lealao came in and said Failele of Tafuga was very sick and that they wanted the elders to come down and administer to her. So we elders along with Lealao, Viali, Nifo, Lene, Tuli, Masuisui and Se'etai walked down the road and over the trail a good distance of two miles to Tafuga. We only stayed about half an hour and then came back. We arrived in Mapusaga at 3:00. We had talo, palusami and cocoa for our early morning breakfast. We slept till about 10:00 the next morning, except Elder Gambles who caught the 7:00 bus to Pago Pago.

About all we got done Monday morning was some studying.

Tuesday:  [Jun 4] We all went down to the plantation in the late forenoon. They are starting to cut copra today. We went up the farther end of the plantation where they are cutting and cut a little and walked around to mutamuta. In the afternoon we came back down to the copra shed and weighed the copra.

Wednesday morning we painted the kitchen and living room of the house. In the afternoon we went down to the plantation and weighed copra till dark.
The next day we painted the house all day. We have the first coat on the hall and kitchen. We were quite tired and didn't clean up the place but left it for Elder Bandley in the morning. Had supper put in the kitchen at the end of the hall.

Friday morning Elder Pace and I caught the first bus for Pago Pago. We spent a good share of the day making out reports but were unable to finish as Elder Bandley didn't come down till late in the afternoon so we couldn't fix out his part of the reports. We made preparation to go out to Tula and Alao for the census.

Saturday morning Tina, Uiliata, Faima, Fili, Telephoni, Elder Pace and I took a car out of Fa'agaitua. From there we walked over the trail to Alao, arriving there a little after 11:00. We stopped at Tifaga's the rest of the day and slept there.

Sunday:  [Jun 9] I remained there in Alao for Sunday School but afterwards went to Tula. Held Church there at 3:00 pm. Pretty good meeting, considering that I conducted it. I had planned to come back to Alao and get the census the next morning. They persuaded me that I could get it after Church, so I decided to stay. Sent Tina over to Alao to get the papers. With a lot of trouble I finally got most of it that night. After I went down to Au's for the night. Salanoa came down and we had a conversation discussing different subjects in the Bible. Slept at Au's place. Lelei mea uma.

Monday morning checked my papers and got one or two that I didn't have last night. Came back to Alao and stayed until after dinner. We all decided to walk to Pago Pago with Tifoga. At 1:00 we started. At six we arrived at Pago. Quite little walk of about 20 miles. We were quite tired but not too much so that we couldn't read our mail from home. Quite a well spent week all in all. Quite a bit of travel, and everything is malia lava nei mea uma. Lausi'i will write this week's record so that I will have a sample of his printing.

June 11/35  I, Lausi'i, will write Elder Lewis' record for him this week, as he wants a specimen in his book. These are some of the things that he did last week.

Monday morning Uiliata brought some things to eat for Mapusaga for us on the eleven o'clock bus. Elder Lewis and Pace waited for the five o'clock bus. They had visitors in the afternoon that were surely hard to get rid of. I think they wanted to come to Mapusaga with them. They arrived in Mapusaga about six o'clock. We are all together again. We had a big supper to celebrate the event.

In the morning Elders Gambles and Bandley went to Nu'uuli to get the census. Lausi'i and I accompanied them. We stayed overnight. Had a very good time, went crab fishing and then came back and went to sleep.
Elders Pace and Lewis did some studying in the morning. Also went to the copra shed and weighed some copra, When they got back they went to the Malai and played ball a while

Thursday morning the Elders came back from Nu'uuli. We painted on the house most of the day. "Our Gang" went up for a little baseball practice. There are seven in our family, Elders Gambles, Lewis, Bandley, Pace and Vaili, Tina and I, Lausi'i. Also Lealau, and Luteru, leaders of our team. We are not very good, but we practice.
The next day was also spent in painting the house but wait. In fact that's about all we got done. The Deacons had a fale'aiga downstairs. It was very good and they made quite a bit of money. Sa iai tagata to'tele i lena po, sa fiafi fo'i le to'atele o tagata ina ua ile tele o pulini sa iai ile fale'aiga. Ua lelei tele mea uma.

Saturday  [Jun 15] was the big day. We had a three-day tournament between the three teams of Mapusaga and Falinui's team; Yankee's Blue Eagle, BYU of Mapusaga and New Moon of Faleniu. The Yankees and New Moon of Faleniu played first. The score was 22 to 12 for the Yankees. BYU And the Blue Eagles were next. The score was 23 to 12 for the Yankees. Then came the Yankees and BYU. The yanks won 12 to 6; they were all very good games.

After supper we all went out on the porch in the moonlight for a long talk. The moon was surely beautiful.

Sunday:  [Jun 16] We all attended Sunday School, Church and Mutual in Mapusaga. After the Sunday School, Eddie came up and we had some discussions about the Pearl of Great Price, etc. We sat on the porch till eleven thirty until Lealao came from Pago Pago.

Monday morning we all began brushing the roof preparatory to painting it. Elder Pace and Tina went to see the Doc. Tina to bring back some food. We were so hungry that we quit working on the roof and came down.

Moonlit night

Afternoon Charlie Reed came up to see about a cow to butcher. Elder Gambles and Lewis went to the plantation to see about it. We traded him one of our cows to kill, for one of his. We killed it, then came back to the house. We had court in the evening. Ua i'u le galuega ia manuia lau galuega i lenei atunu'u o Samoa mai ia e toi fo'i atu i lau nu'u moni o maua pea le Saifua lelei. Tofa-Lausi'i.

Tuesday:  [Jun 18] We went up on the roof today and did some more scraping and brushing down the rust preparatory to painting it. That is Lausi'i, Elder Pace and I, as Elder Bandley and Tina went down to the plantation to see about the copra. Elder Gambles went to Pago Pago on the first bus. In the afternoon we got out the gloves and baseball and had a practice for a little while. Afterwards I came up and did some studying.

      Questions or Suggestions?  Email

    Print - no heading    (18 pgs)

      Ivan's parents
      Daisy's parents

      Their page

      Life Sketch
      Letters 1937-38 - Ramah
      Letters 1940 - Tent & Trailer
      Letters 1946 - Farmington-Ranchitos
      Diary 1947 - Ranchitos-Totavi
      Letters 1947-48 - Ranchitos-Totavi

      Growing up 1915-37 -  Ramah
      Mission to Samoa 1934-1937
            1   2   3
      In the Army 1945
      Ivan 1937-1950