Research Updates    New Ancestors    New Stories    Surnames A-L    Surnames M-Z    Home
      Ancestor Pages -  knowing my family
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Tarlton Lewis          Malinda Gimlin


An order had been issued by the Church authorities commanding all of the members of the Mormon church to leave their farms, and to take such property as they could remove, and go to one of the two fortified camps, that is, Far West or Adam-ondi-Ahman. A large majority of the settlers obeyed and the two camps were soon full of people who had deserted home again for the sake of the gospel.

There was a settlement on Log Creek, between three and five miles east from Far West. It was quite a rich settlement. A man named Haughn had just completed a good flouring mill on the creek. The morning after the battle of Crooked river, Haughn came to Far West to consult with the Prophet concerning the policy of the removal of the settlers on Log Creek to the fortified camps. Col. White and myself were standing by when the Prophet said to him: "Move in, by all means, if you wish to save your lives." Haughn replied that if the settlers left their homes all of their property would be lost, and the Gentiles would burn their houses and other buildings. The Prophet then said: "You had much better lose your property than your lives, one can be replaced, the other cannot be restored; but there is no need of your losing either if you will only do as you are commanded."

Haughn said that he considered the best plan was for all the settlers to move into and around the mill, and use the blacksmith's shop and other buildings as a fort in case of attack; in this way he thought they would be perfectly safe. "You are at liberty to do so if you think best," said the Prophet. Haughn then departed, well satisfied that he had carried his point.

The Prophet turned to Col. White and said: "That man did not come for counsel, but to induce me to tell him to do as he pleased, which I did. Had I commanded them to move in here and leave their property, they would have called me a tyrant. I wish they were here for their safety. I am confident that we will soon learn that they have been butchered in a fearful manner." ...The massacre at Haughn's Mill was the result of the brethren's refusal to obey the wishes of the Prophet. All the brethren so considered it.

(from "Mormonism Unveiled" by John D. Lee, pg. 78-81)

A graphic description of this murderous attack is given in a lesson booklet written by Archibald F. Bennett.

"On October 30, 1838 at a place called Haun's Mill on Shoal Creek in Missouri, a group of Mormon families gathered. Among them were three brothers, Benjamin, Tarlton and David Lewis, born respectively in the years 1803, 1805 and 1814. Angry mobs were threatening them from all the other settlements and the brethren met in council, deliberating the best course to pursue to defend themselves against the mob, threatening them with house burning and killing. "About 28 of the men armed themselves and were in constant readiness for an attack of any small body of men that might come down on them. The children were sporting and playing on either side of Shoal Creek; the mothers were engaged in domestic activities and the fathers stood guard in the Mills and other properties. The sun shone clear and all was tranquil.

"About four o'clock a large company of armed men approached on horses and began firing about one hundred rifles upon Haun's Mills.

"Joseph Young, one of the President of Seventies, was among those who escaped. He hid in the thicket until nightfall and relates his experiences as follows: 'I went to the house of Benjamin Lewis where I found my family who had fled there in safety and two of my friends mortally wounded, one of whom died before morning.'

"Returning to the blacksmith shop, they found eight others already dead and some expiring. In jeopardy of their own lives, expecting to be fired upon by the mob any moment, they gathered up the bullet pierced and maimed bodies of their friends and threw them into an abandoned well nearby. In this wanton slaughter 18 or 19 were killed.

"Tarlton and Benjamin were wounded and managed to get home. Here their wounds were dressed and Benjamin coughed up the pellet which had lodged in his stomach but he died before morning.

The remaining brother David, who had escaped without injury, wrote the following in his diary: 'Benjamin Lewis, my brother was found about three hundred yards from the shop by some of the women who had bin concealed in the bruch during the fracus, he was alive and in his proper senses. I went to him and with the aid of a horse and slide I got him to my house he lived a few hours and dyed. I dug a hole in the ground rapt him in a sheet and without a coffin burayed him.'

Tarlton and Malinda are #8 and #9 on Chart 3


  to print Melinda/Tarleton pgs
  (no headings)
  download PDF

  right click to save
  includes stories, etc. 4 pgs