Mary Ann Chapman's Story    Part 1   9

One summer Father worked in the canyon where the rock was quarried for the Temple. We went there for 2 weeks for an outing. It was in a beautiful canyon. There I saw my first wild raspberries. A friend of father's had let us use his tent. One morning we woke & found a small lizard asleep on Lizzies chest. They blasted such big rocks. We ate in the big dining room. There was a girl about my age that lived at the camp. It was when I was 10 that I was given my choice of the gold or silver lockets that father got for us with his & mothers pictures in when she died. I chose the silver one. I was so proud of my locket, guarded it so closely.


They had a hard time getting a start in the City but it was time I went to school & other things were to their advantage. When Father could not get work Mother took in sewing. She not being very strong, he would work the peddle while she guided the sewing. We moved around to different wards, the 14, 21 & the 22, to be near his work. I still would like to hear of some of those friends we made in these wards, some times I see their names or their family's names in the Deseret News or church magazines. The ... of the 14 ward, the Durrs, Edith & Ella of the 22 ward, were such dear girls. Their mother was a sister of Joseph F. Smith. The spring I was 10 years old in 1882 father had work on the Railroad at Kaysville north of S.L. City. Aggie went with us, we enjoyed being together. We had a garden, the first for so many years. We had such lovey tomatoes. It was such a treat, to take the salt dish out in the patch & break open a big one. They do not taste near as good now after 60 years as they did then. In Primary we children were each to glean 1 pint of Beans where they had shattered out. I got mine & they were to be stored for times of famine, so they must have had to be renewed  many  times  before  now. We
had a cat we children thought

It was at Kaysville that I met the big water bug again when I came so near swallowing one in drinking after dark. I always looked in the cup after that before I drank. It was the summer we lived at Kaysville I think, when we went by train to the 4th of July, that the nation was in mourning for President Garfield who had been asassinated. There was a big parade in mourning for him, the whole nation were in mourning. One day I was told to bring home a watermelon as I came from taking fathers dinner to him where he was cutting stone for the Temple. It slipped & burst. I went back to the tithing clerk & he gave me another.

so much of & when the alfalfa was being mowed its hind legs were cut off. It was terrible to us to see it suffer. When I see the names of the dear friends we had there, in the papers, it brings back many lovely memories. there I saw silk worms, the eggs, the moth, the worms eating the mulberry leaves & the cocoons they weave & the silk that was woven from those cocoons. The best apples I ever tasted were there at Kaysville, it was west of a mountain. I have never tasted any like them since with a distinct flavor I have not found yet. I remember playing at the Sheppard's & Blood's homes with their children, I think it was when we went back to Salt Lake City that father went to work on the Temple block cutting stone with his father & Uncle Joseph who had both been cutting there for several years. Grandfather was called from Manti to cut stone. we got our supplies at the tithing office across the street east from the Temple block. The tithing clerk used to ask Aggie & I if we were twins & when I told him she was 9 months older than I, he said, "Well your mother was a very smart woman." but we told him we had different mothers. We used to take our old rags to the Deseret book store, they were calling for them to make paper.