Mary Ann Chapman's Story    Part 1   3

One 4 of July at Snyderville there was a big celebration with long tables spread with food. My father had charge of the ice cream, they got ice from the mountain. The Indians ate with us & in the afternoon we could see a forest fire, how the big clouds of smoke rolled up. Aunt Ann MacKay named her youngest girl Mamie after me.


She told us of birds and flowers on her daily walks and many stories. Wanship was north of us, a Mormon settlement. The valley extended many miles north, the Silver Creek riming north, Park City was South, Snyderville west. We used to go to Snyderville where Aunt Rhoda's sister Susie Snyder lived, to Sunday school & meetings & the 4th & 24th of July celebrations, it was west of our valley about 3 miles. After I was born my Father moved to South Cottonwood or Little Cottonwood it was often called because there was another ward near that was called Big Cottonwood. At Little Cottonwood there was a smelter, I think it is an iron smelter. My father worked in this smelter 2 or 3 years. My sister Elizabeth Amelia was born here, she was named after her two grandmothers. She was born Feb. 28, 1874. My mother died March 7, 1874, leaving my sister a very small baby a few days old. Our Aunt Catherine, my Grandfather Chapman's third wife, had a baby about the same age named Nellie, she took my sister Lizzie we called her & nursed & took care of her. So she was raised as a twin while they were babies. My grandfathers second wife took me & was very kind & loving to me. I always loved Aunt Ann & always will love her & her children.

while Grandma Chapman was keeping house for us, one day she left me asleep, locked the door & went to the children's dance not very far away. I woke & was so frightened to be locked in alone I tried to break the window with my fist. A kind neighbor went for grandma. I never left a child locked up alone.

My father liked her for her kind sympathy & loving care she gave me. When my sister was weaned my Grandmother Chapman, who was my Grandfather's first wife, took care of us children at Little Cottonwood for some time & kept house for my father so we were all together for a while. Nov. 29th 1876 my father was married in the Endowment House to Harriet Zelnora Marsden (McDonald) (for time). I was 4 years old. She was sealed to her first husband for Eternity. She & father had one son who died soon after birth. We lived in her house, left her by her first husband, it was in the 13th ward when we lived in Salt Lake City 2 blocks east of Main St. 1 blocks east of the old theater. Her mother, we called her Grandma, & sister Clara lived in their house on the same lot. When they were first married we lived at Little Cottonwood afterward called Murray where father worked in the smelter but it was too hard on him. Then we moved to Salt Lake City there her baby was born, a boy who lived only a few days. Soon after this we moved back to Silver Creek near Parleys Park again. This is when I remember the beautiful valley, Silver Creek running through it & how I enjoyed roaming around & playing with my uncle's children. Susie about my age,